Say Goodbye to Scars with These Effective Scar Removal Home Remedies
When you have scars it can be troublesome to even look in the mirror. Scars can be annoying, and unfortunately, without treatment they’ll be visible for the rest of your life.
There are a number of reasons for why scars can occur, ranging from injury to acne. Luckily there are effective home remedies that can help reduce their unsightly appearance.
It’s important to note that while some methods will work for some, they won’t work for others.
Home Remedies for Scar Removal
1. Stay Away from the Sun
Your body has the natural ability to lighten scars making them almost invisible. In order to benefit this natural process your body needs your help. One way you can do this is by reducing your exposure to the sun.
Sun exposure can slow down the scar’s healing process, and may even make them darker. Like most people, you likely need to leave the house on a daily basis. Before doing so make sure to apply sunscreen to the scar in order to reduce the Sun’s overall impact.
2. Lemon Juice is Your Friend
Lemon is not only great for drinking, but also for removing scars as well. Lemon can act as a natural bleach that helps rebuild collagen. That’s why lemon juice is one of the best home remedies for healing scars.
However, you have to use it with caution. When we say lemon juice, we mean the “real” lemon juice, not the artificial/synthetic powdered ones that food companies make. Real lemon juice doesn’t contain any additives.
Here’s how to use lemon juice to heal scars:
- Squeeze the juice out of the lemon.
- Use a cotton ball and damp it into the juice and apply directly to the scars.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse with water.
- Do this once a day for three weeks.
You may need to dilute the lemon juice first before applying, especially if you have sensitive skin. You can dilute the concentrate by mixing it with water or honey. You can also use vitamin E oil as a dilute alternative as the oil is rich in antioxidants that are also good for your skin.
Aside from lemon, honey is also an effective home remedy for scar removal. One way to use it is to directly apply it to the scar and leave it overnight. Wash off the honey as soon as you wake up in the morning. If you want to be creative, you can also make different types of honey paste too.
An example of a honey paste is one mixed with oatmeal.
- Gently apply the paste to the scar.
- Leave it for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash the paste with lukewarm water.
- Leave the paste overnight and wash it off in the morning.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is known to soothe your skin and regenerate damaged skin tissues. There are two options when it comes to applying Aloe Vera: First, you can apply the aloe Vera directly from a plant. Second, you can use over the counter creams that contain high amounts of Aloe Vera.
If you’re lucky to have an Aloe Vera plant inside your home, you can pull out one of its leaves and peel it’s protective shell. The gel will come out which you can apply directly to your scars.
Leave the gel for an hour or two before rinsing it off with water. For best results, apply the gel twice a day.
5. Olive Oil
Olive oil is packed with nutrients such as vitamins A, E, C, and B2, antioxidants, and iron. Thanks to olive oils anti-inflammatory properties, it also helps in relieving scars as well. Here’s how:
- Before going to bed, apply a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and massage it into the scar.
- Ensure that the oil is absorbed by the skin and scar.
- Get a warm towel and gently apply it into the scar area.
- Wipe off the excess oil using the towel without rubbing it into the skin.
- Wash the applied area with water after 2 minutes.
6. Raw Potato
Last but not least, a raw potato also works well for removing scars too. Follow the steps down below:
- Cut a raw potato into round slices
- Apply it into the scar in a circular motion
- Keep rubbing the slices until it is completely dry
- Repeat the process for about 15 to 20 minutes and let the skin absorb the potato juice.
- If you feel that the juice has absorbed your skin, rinse it off with water. Apply moisturizer into the skin after following the process above. Keep doing this for 3 to 4 times a week to yield desired results.